正文 辦公室裏長不大的“孩子”(3 / 3)

我真不明白他是如何做到用兩年半的時間讀完大學的。

② Anyway, to each their own. 不管怎樣,各人有各人的癖好。

to each his own: sth. is obviously right for sb., although others can’t understand why(各人有各人的癖好)。例如:—Geez, look at that. How can someone put all these colors on one dress?

天啊,看看那邊。怎麼會有人把這些顏色堆在一條裙子上?—Well, to each his own, but I’d never do that.

這個嘛,各人有各人的癖好,不過我絕對不會那麼做的。

③ Yeah, I can see how a sound like that could totes get me off track. 嗯,我能感受到那樣的鈴聲會徹底讓我脫軌。

get sb. off track: lead sb. away from what is correct or true(偏離正道,離題)。例如:

A question from the audience got the speaker off track for 20 minutes.

聽眾的一個問題讓講話者離題二十分鍾之久。

④ No one is going to take him seriously if he doesn’t shape up his image. 如果一個人不改善自己的形象,沒人會認真地對待他。

shape up: improve, reform(改變,進步)。例如:

I guess I’d better shape up if I want to stay on the team.

我認為,如果我想留在這個團隊的話,我最好有更好的表現。

⑤ I totes just let it flow, you know. 你知道的,我總是順其自然。

let it flow: let sth. develop in its own course without interference(順其自然)。例如:

Sometimes, letting it flow may not be the best option if the argument will obviously go off track.

有的時候,如果爭論明顯要往偏的方向發展,那順其自然也未必是最好的選擇。

⑥ Actually, I know for a fact that the boss doesn’t “dig it.” 事實上,我知道老板不喜歡這一點。

dig it: like that very much(非常喜歡某事)。例如:

We went to see Leo Dicaprio’s new movie last night. I can’t believe I actually did dig it, ’cuz I usually don’t like the guy.我們昨晚去看李奧·迪卡普裏奧的新電影,沒想到,我很喜歡,因為我平常不喜歡這個演員。

⑦That hits me right in the feels! 這讓我受傷了!

hit sb. right in the feels: sb. feels his/her feelings have been hurt(某人覺得自己的感情受到了傷害)。例如:

Mr. Blackstone’s comments on my tardiness hit me right in the feels. I had a car accident!

布萊斯通先生批評我遲到的話,讓我太受傷了。我可是出了車禍啊!

⑧ Your unprofessional manner is holding you back. 你非專業的行為正阻礙著你的發展。

hold sb. back: prevent sb. from doing sth.(阻止某人做某事)。例如:

The board’s indecisiveness has been holding the company back these past few years.

董事會優柔寡斷,在近幾年阻礙了公司的發展。