正文 Part 2 A Heart to Heart with Mom(3 / 3)

Why do I get the third degree from you every time I come home late?

為什麼我每次回來晚了你就會盤問我?

⑤ It’s just that we only Skype once a week, so when we do talk I like to be kept in the loop, so to speak. 因為我們一個星期隻在Skype聊一次,所以當我們真的聊天,可以說我想了解更多。

keep sb. in the loop: let sb. know about sth.(讓某人了解某事)。例如:

We can’t keep Mary in the loop about this surprise party because she has a big mouth.

我們不能讓瑪麗知道驚喜派對這事兒,她嘴不嚴。

so to speak: used to explain that what you are saying is not to be understood exactly as stated(可以說)。例如:

You’re part of the family, so to speak. So I’m gonna tell you what happened last night.

你可以說是這個家的一員,所以我會把昨晚發生的事告訴你。

⑥ It’s a tough decision, and I know she doesn’t take it lightly. 這是個艱難的決定,我知道她很重視。

take sth. lightly: treat sth. with indifference(不重視)。例如:Children’s education is something that should not be taken lightly.孩子的教育應該得到應有的重視。

⑦ Perhaps you could pick up a few pointers from your better half. 也許你應該向你更好的另一半學點東西。

pick up a pointer: learn a helpful piece of advice(接受好點子,接受有用的建議)。例如:

As for how to solve problems effectively, we can always pick up a few pointers from Mr. Johnson.

在如何有效地解決問題方麵,我們總是能從約翰遜先生身上學到點東西。

⑧ And rather ironic, considering that I’m somewhat of a cradle robber… 我是老牛吃嫩草,這真的很諷刺……

cradle robber: A person who marries or becomes romantically involved with someone who is much younger(老牛吃嫩草者)。例如:

He is nearly 50 and always dates girls under 20—he is such a cradle robber.

他快五十了,可總是與二十歲以下的女孩子交往——他太喜歡老牛吃嫩草了。

⑨ And on that note, I’m gonna get some shut-eye. 就說到這兒吧,我得睡覺了。

shut-eye: sleep(睡覺)。例如:

I need to get home and get some shut-eye because there’s a big exam tomorrow.

我得趕回家睡一覺,因為明天還要考試呢。