我感覺,這兩個星期就如兩個季節一樣的愉快,這就是成功,我成功了,它如此之大,連電視導播的稿子都要我來寫。
Successful enough to write a TV pilot for an original sitcom.
When the network decided to make it,feeling good,I left Saturday Night Live.
而在工作組感覺不錯,決心將蛋糕做得更大時,我離開了“生動周六之夜”節目組。
This TV show was going to be groundbreaking.
這個節目將會是奠基性的。
It was going to resurrect the career of TV s Batman,Adam West.
它將讓巴特曼亞當威斯特重返江湖。
It was going to be a comedy without a laugh track or a studio audience.
它是沒有一絲笑聲沒有一個觀眾的喜劇。
It was going to change all the rules.
And here s what happened.
它將打破常規,並且確實如此。
When the pilot aired,it was the second_lowest_rated television show of all time.
而當導播氣憤的宣告,這個節目隻不過是時下二流的電視節目,因為新斯科細亞的民意測試證明了這點。
It is actually tied with a test pattern they show up in Nova Scotia.
So I was 28and,once again,no job
因此我又一次失去了工作,那年我28歲。
I had good writing credits in New York,but I was filled with disappointment and I had no idea what I was going to do next.
在紐約,我的文章寫得不錯,可我心灰意冷,茫然不知所措。
And that is when the Simpsons saved my life.
那時是辛普森挽救了我。
I got a job there and started writing episodes about Springfield getting a monorail or Homer going to college.
我在那兒開始著手寫些謝菲爾德怎樣走上單軌鐵道和休謨如何上大學的故事情節。
I was finally putting my Harvard education to good use—writing dialogue for a man who is so stupid that in one episode he forgot to make his own heart beat.
Life was good.
最後我把哈佛學到的知識派上用場了,為一個蠢到上台胡言亂語的人編寫台詞。
And then an insane,inexplicable opportunity came my way,a chance to audition for host of the new “Late Night”show.
然後一個令人瘋狂,莫名其妙的良機光顧與我。擔任“夜深”節目主持人,
I took the opportunity very seriously,but at the time—I have to be honest—I had the relaxed confidence of someone who knew he had no real shot,so I couldn t fear losing a great job that I could never hope to have.
And I think that actually that attitude made the difference.
所以我對這天賜良機倍加重視,但在那時,我得麵對現實,我以放鬆的心情自信,沒有人會對我構成威脅,因此我用不著擔心會失去這份我從不奢望擁有的重要的工作。
I will never forget being in the Simpsons recording basement that morning when the phone rang.
It was for me.
我將永遠不會忘記在辛普森地下錄音室的早晨,電話響了,是找我的。