Mark: No! Are you crazy?!

Jane: ④So, how do you 7)stay afloat?

Mark: I have two jobs, one in a coffee shop and the other in a bar on campus!

Jane: ⑤I better take a leaf from your book.

Mark: I think it would do you well!

Smart Sentences

① Totally fed up, to be honest with you! 老實說,一點也不好!

fed up: unhappy, bored(不開心,無聊)例如:

I was just fed up the whole weekend.

我整個周末都很不得勁。

② A little down in the dumps, are we?有點抑鬱是嗎?

down in the dumps: feeling very depressed and miserable(感覺抑鬱和消沉)。例如:

He’s been feeling a bit down in the dumps since the divorce.

他離婚後有點消沉。

③ I just need to let off some steam! 我需要發泄!

let off steam: release pent-up energy or emotions(發泄鬱積的感情,泄怒)。例如:

Swimming is a good way to let off steam when you are stressed out.

在備受壓力之時,遊泳是一種很好的發泄方式。

④ So, how do you stay afloat? 那麼,你是怎麼維持生計的呢?

stay afloat: operating at a satisfactory standard economically(經濟上應付自如)。例如:

It’s hard for a business to stay afloat in recession.

在經濟蕭條時期,想要維持一家企業並不容易。

⑤ I better take a leaf from your book. 我應該向你學學。

take a leaf from sb.’s book: behave in the same way as sb.(學某人的樣,以某人為榜樣)。 例如:

Maybe we should take a leaf from Peter’s book; he can focus and is efficient.

也許我們都該學學彼得,他可以集中精神,效率高。